All rise.
全体起立
Thank you very much, Your Honor,
法官大人 非常感谢您
and a good afternoon to you.
下午好
The narrative of this case up to this point has been very, very simple.
这个案子的案情目前已十分明朗
A group of, uh, bungling, incompetent cops from a small town in upstate New York
一群来自纽约州北部小镇的无能警♥察♥
on a razor-thin amount of evidence...
通过少得可怜的证据
brought a case against a man
试图起诉一个男人
perhaps insidiously motivated by the color of his skin.
很有可能是因为他的肤色
Great TV, great theater,
场面闹得很大 沸沸扬扬
but ultimately it's not about tunnel vision,
但本质上这和他们的鼠目寸光无关
rush to judgment, the defendant's race.
和他们的草率结论 被告肤色都无关
It's about 30 minutes in Potsdam...
这只关于波茨坦的那30分钟
4:53 P.M. To 5:23 P.M. on Monday, October 24th, 2011.
2011年10月24日 星期一 下午4:53-5:23这段时间
The death of a child is always tragic.
孩子的死亡总是悲惨的
There is pain and grief, and there is sorrow.
有痛苦 有悲恸
And with that pain and sorrow,
正因为这份痛苦和悲恸
there is naturally a cry for justice,
人们会呼吁正义
a cry for someone to be held accountable,
呼吁能将祸首绳之以法
but it must be the right person.
但绝不能错怪无辜
My boyfriend and I went to Potsdam to both attend college,
我和我男朋友去波茨坦上大学
and I felt right at home, right away, the first year.
一到那里就很有回到家乡的感觉
It was very homey.
很温馨
It was very simple,
一切都十分淳朴
that small-town feel where everybody knows everybody,
小镇里大家彼此都像熟人一样
and you just live your daily life.
过着平平淡淡的生活
We found our apartment at 100 Market Street
我们在2010年的初夏在
at the beginning of the summer of 2010.
市场街100号♥入住了我们的公♥寓♥
It was not like your typical college apartment.
这和普通的大学公♥寓♥不同
It was clean, it looked like you could live in it,
它很干净 适合居住
and it was homey,
很温馨
and, uh, the whole building was well-kept,
整栋楼保养得很好
and it felt very safe.
让人感觉十分安全
You're sharing a wall with somebody,
你和别人就隔了一堵墙
so we could hear the muffled noises,
所以我们能听到低低的说话声
but I didn't really know a lot
但是听不出来
about what was going on on the other side,
另外一边的人在干什么
and I knew that there was two young boys.
但是我知道我们旁边住着两个男孩
Definitely could hear a skateboard
有时候可以清楚地听到
going down the hallway sometimes,
滑板滑下走廊的声音
some footsteps, some... you know,
有些脚步声
you could hear them talking back and forth.
可以听到他们在互相说话
We knew we really didn't have much in common with them...
我们和他们共同点很少
two boys that were 12 and younger,
那两个男孩一个12岁一个更小
and a single mother.
还有一个单亲母亲
Us two college kids,
我们两个大学生
we didn't really have too much to talk about.
和他们之间真的没有共同语言
I'd seen Garrett,
我碰见过加勒特
and I believe it was his little brother with him,
我记得他和他的弟弟在一起
on their little scooters in the front parking lot, driving all around.
在停车场前滑着小滑板车到处跑
Andrew and I started dating.
那时候安德鲁和我刚开始交往
He lived with his parents
他和他父母一起住在
at 100 Market Street apartments in the back building.
市场街100号♥公♥寓♥的后楼里
It's cozy, quiet,
那里很舒适 很安静
and everybody knows everybody.
邻居之间气氛很融洽
I feel like now we have a connection with this family
现在感觉和这个家庭多了一种
that we don't even know,
说不出的联♥系♥
and...
并且
we'll always have that.
这种联♥系♥会一直持续下去
It was just a normal day.
那只是平常的一天
I actually came home
我那天
earlier than I was normally coming home at that time.
比平常早了一点回家
I arrived home around 4:15, 4:20,
我大概4:15 4:20左右到的家
and we started to cook dinner.
然后我们开始烧晚饭
Actually, Sean cooked dinner.
是肖恩烧的晚饭
The whole process took about half an hour,
大概花了半小时
so, about 5:00, everything got plated up,
所以 大概五点的时候 一切都准备就绪
and we went into our bedroom to eat and watch a TV show.
我们进卧室里去吃饭 看电视节目
We watched Dexter.
我们看了《嗜血判官》
We're big fans.
我们是铁粉
It was around 5:00, right before dinnertime.
那时大概是五点左右 就在晚饭之前
We were outside of the back building,
我们在后面的大楼的外面
changing Andrew's tire.
换安德鲁的车胎
He was down on the ground.
他趴在地上
We were standing there.
我们站在那里
He was underneath the car with a jack, lifting it up.
他在被千斤顶撑着的汽车下面
While Andrew was underneath the car,
在安德鲁在车下面的时候
I kept hearing multiple noises,
我听到了一些持续的声音
could not figure out what it was.
也不知道是什么声音
I kept looking up there.
我一直在向上看
Couldn't see anything.
但什么也看不到
While we were watching the show and eating,
我们当时吃着饭看着剧
we weren't really chitchatting anymore,
就不怎么聊天了
so we were just listening to the show,
我们只是静静地看着电视
and that's when we heard the running and, um, the crash.
这时候我们听到了跑步和碰撞的声音
There was silence after the crash,
碰撞之后有短暂的寂静
and a few seconds later,
几秒钟之后
uh, we heard a moan for help,
我们听见了求助的呻♥吟♥声
and it sounded like either ow or no.
听起来像是在说"哦"或者"不"
It was definitely a child's voice,
那肯定是一个小孩的声音
but it sounded scared
但是他听起来很害怕
and it sounded, you know, muffled through the wall,
压抑的声音穿过墙
but I could hear that word help,
但我能听出来是"救命"
and I will never forget that word.
我这一辈子都无法忘记那个声音
Just... it sounded scared.
他 他的声音听起来很害怕
This isn't really the time to ignore it
这种声音是没办法忽视的
and just think nothing happened.
我们也不能假装无事发生
When I knocked on the door of the other apartment...
当我去敲响另外一间公♥寓♥的门时...
sorry.
对不起
When I knocked on the other door,
当我敲那间公♥寓♥的门时
I heard a slight noise behind the door.
我听见了门后传来细微的声音
I couldn't tell you what it was,
我没法辨别那是什么
But then I heard a click,
但是接着我听到了一声咔哒声
and it was one of those things where my mind
这时候我就立马知道
instantly knew that it was a lock clicking.
那是门锁锁上的声音
She turned around immediately,
她头立马转了过来
and I could see in her eyes
我可以从她的眼中看出
that she was not comfortable
她看到的或者想到的东西
with whatever it was she heard or felt.
让她觉得很异常
Potsdam Police, Dispatcher Snyder.
波茨坦警♥察♥ 斯奈德调度员
Hi, um, my name is Marissa Vogel, and...
你好 我的名字是玛丽莎·沃格尔
Where do you live?
你住在哪里
Sorry, 100 Market Street,
不好意思 市场街100号♥
North Country Manor Apartments.
北国庄园公♥寓♥
Okay, I'll have somebody check on it.
好吧 我会派人检查的
Thank you so much. Thank you,
太感谢你了 谢谢
byebye. Bye.
再见 再见
Within a few minutes,
几分钟之内
a police officer had arrived on the scene.
一名警官就到达了现场
We heard him walk up the stairs,
我们听到他走上楼梯
knock on the door to the other apartment.
敲其他公♥寓♥的房♥门
Hello?
喂
Hi, is this Rick Dumas?
喂 是里克·仲马吗
Yes, it is.
是的
Okay.
好的
Marissa? Yes?
玛丽莎 怎么了
They do have an emergency in that location.
那里确实有紧急情况发生
Could you assist me by going down
你能帮我向楼下的
and waving down the rescue squad as they arrived?
救援队挥手示意吗
Yes, I could do that. Thank you very much.
可以 非常感谢
I believe they left the door open
我记得他们把门敞开着