both Benjamin and Frank killed her, right?
本杰明和弗兰克两个人都杀了她 是吗
It's complicated, I know.
我知道这很复杂
Benjamin knocked her out because he felt like he was rejected,
本杰明敲晕了她 因为他感到自己被拒绝了
which is a stressor.
这就是压力源
He tied her up and called his brother in law Frank
他把她绑起来 打给他妹夫弗兰克
because he didn't know what to do.
因为他不知道该怎么办
So Frank comes over
于是弗兰克过去了
and takes advantage of the situation and rapes her.
利用当时的现状 趁机强♥奸了她
Benjamin doesn't stop him because he wants to see her humiliated.
本杰明没有阻止他 因为他想看到她被羞辱
Now Frank knows that he's in trouble,
然后弗兰克知道自己有麻烦了
so he starts telling Benjamin what a slut she is.
他就开始告诉本杰明她是个荡♥妇
And that is a big problem for Benjamin.
对本杰明来说 那是个很严重的问题
So they kill her.
所以他们杀了她
Then they call Rose, have her come and help clean up.
他们接着打给罗斯 让她过来帮忙清理
And she sees the poor girl in the bathtub
她看到那可怜的女孩躺在浴缸里
and realizes that she's still alive.
意识到她还活着
So they stab her again.
所以他们再次捅了她
And then they move the body to the dump.
然后把尸体移到了垃圾场
Okay.
好吧
Okay.
好吧
That went well. You think?
还挺顺利 是吗
Sure, I mean... what don't you think he grasped?
对啊 你觉得他哪里没理解
Well, I mean, Holden, you know these people. I don't.
霍尔登 你了解这些人 我不了解
I think that he seemed very intent on blaming Benjamin,
我觉得他一开始决心把罪行归咎于本杰明
and I'm not quite sure I got him over that.
我不确定自己是否让他过了这个坎
Well, certainly at the end, he seemed very attentive.
至少在最后 他好像听得很专心
I thought you laid it out clearly and concisely for him
我觉得你已经简明扼要地向他解释了
that it was all three.
他们三个都是杀人犯
Well, if you're right, then we should be fine.
如果你是对的 那我们应该没问题
Yes, we should be.
是的 应该没问题
How's commuting? What do you mean?
通勤怎么样了 什么意思
Having half of your life in Boston.
你一半的生活都在波士顿
What?
什么
Is the back and forth becoming a strain?
往返两地成为你的负担了吗
I know that it was discombobulating for me, all the travel,
至少对我来说 之前为兼顾巡回♥教学
when we were straddling Road School.
四处奔波时 非常累人
Is small talk a way you deal with your anxiety?
闲聊是你处理焦虑的方式吗
I suppose.
大概吧
Okay.
好吧
Thought you were back tomorrow.
你不是明天才回来吗
Was. Plans changed.
本来是的 但计划有变
We talked about that.
我们说过这事了
Sorry, but I'm so glad you're home early.
抱歉 但我很高兴你提早回来了
You look tired.
你看起来很累
I mean, you look great, but also a little tired.
我是说 你看起来很美 但也有点累
Thanks. I, uh... I'm okay.
谢谢 我... 我没事
If you want to go home, freshen up,
你可以先回家 梳洗一下
I've got some things to finish here.
我还有点工作要做
Oh, yeah. Okay.
好的
You know, I actually wanted to talk something over with you.
其实我有点事想和你谈谈
It'd be great if we could do that tonight.
要是今晚能谈就太好了
What is it?
怎么了
You know, it's fine. It can wait.
没事 可以等等再谈
No. No, come on.
不 过来
I don't think he even tried to understand what I was saying.
我觉得他根本不想弄明白我在说什么
He just wanted some buzzwords that he could parrot.
他只想学一些他可以照搬去用的专业术语
Intellectually, these people have reached their limits.
这些人已经达到了他们智力的上限
They will never understand the discourse on any deeper level,
他们永远听不懂更深层次的话
nor will they ever become conversant in your vernacular.
也永远不会精通你的术语
I actually think they're quite intuitive.
事实上 我觉得他们很直观
I'm not talking about my colleagues.
我说的不是我的同事们
Your colleagues?
你的同事们
Are you an FBI agent? Don't be absurd.
你是联调局探员吗 别傻了
But that is what I wanted to discuss.
但那就是我想和你讨论的
I'm having a really hard time
我很难在我的研究
juggling my research and everything back here.
和这里的生活之间找到平衡
I warned you this would happen.
我提醒过你会这样
Well, I'm torn. And I'm not really delivering either place.
我现在很为难 我两边都没做好
And I should be spending more time at Quantico.
而我应该花费更多时间在匡提科
I think that's a bad idea.
我觉得这不是好主意
But you know best. Well, I'm not sure I do or...
但你知道怎样最好 我不确定我知道...
It's why I wanted to talk it over.
所以我想和你好好谈谈
I don't have to remind you. Your review is in three months.
不用我提醒你 你三个月后就要接受审核
If you aren't tenured, you'll leave the university.
如果你没被授予终身教职 你会离开大学
Yeah, you needn't remind me.
你用不着提醒我
It's no secret I find it difficult
你知道我也不好受
watching you waste your time down there.
看着你在那边浪费时间
Waste my time?
浪费时间
Do you think that I'm wasting my time?
你觉得我是在浪费时间吗
Come on, I don't wanna argue about this. Neither do I.
别这样 我不想争论这个 我也不想
Babe, focus on the thing that will make your career.
宝贝 专注于对你事业有帮助的事情
They've offered me a full time position.
他们给我提供了一份全职工作
And?
然后呢
You can't be serious.
你不是认真的吧
Why would you say that?
你为什么会这么说
I'm sure it's flattering, but honestly, you said it yourself,
这样很好 但说真的 你自己也说了
these people have reached their intellectual limits.
这些人已经达到了他们智力的上限
No, I didn't say that.
不 我没那么说
Do they know you're lesbian?
他们知道你是同性恋吗
Of course not. Exactly. You can't be yourself.
当然不知道 正是 你没办法做自己
Are you really going to hide half of your life?
你真的要把一半的生活都隐藏起来吗
I do that here. What do you mean by that?
我在这里也是如此 你这是什么意思
I can't tell any of your friends I work with the FBI
我不能告诉你的朋友们我和联调局合作
because it could reflect badly on you. Let's not.
因为会对你产生不好的影响 别这样
I told Will and Gore I'd meet them for a glass of wine.
我跟威尔和戈尔约好了要一起喝酒
Please.
拜托
Come with me.
和我一起去吧
In society, everyone behaves in certain ways
在社会中 每个人都会为了
in order to avoid embarrassment, either for ourselves or others.
避免自己或他人尴尬 而表现出某些特定行为
The very idea of embarrassing oneself, or others,
通过展现真正的自己 使自己或他人尴尬这种想法
by being oneself speaks to a deeper treachery.
证明了更深层次的背叛
Treachery!
背叛
Goffman saw a connection between the kinds of acts or masks that
高夫曼看出了人们在现实生活中的角色和行为
people put on in their daily lives and in theatrical performances.
与戏剧表演之间的联♥系
美国著名社会学家
In a social interaction, as in a theatrical performance,
社交互动与戏剧表演都一样
there's an onstage area where individuals,
有一个舞台区域
or actors as the case may be, appear before the audience.
个人或演员站在上面 面对观众表演
But there must be a backstage,
但一定会有后台
a hidden, private area,
隐藏起来的私人区域
where individuals can truly be themselves.
在那里每个人都可以做真正的自己
Of course, Annaliese, that's lovely,
当然 安娜丽丝 这种想法很好
but you're missing the point.
但你没搞清楚重点
Excuse me. There's no risk of embarrassment
失陪 在隐藏起来的私人区域
for anyone in their hidden and private places.
不会有任何人发生尴尬
It's not backstage where the damage is done.
造成伤害的地方从来不是后台
Must we indulge in your melodrama?
我们必须沉溺于你的闹剧中吗
What the fuck happened, Mark?
到底发生了什么 马克
I think you guys might be too late. Is he in there?
我觉得你们可能来迟了 他在里面吗
Yeah. Let's go talk to him.
在 我们去和他谈谈
Look, I know you came a long way...
我知道你们过来一趟不容易...
Who doesn't like a four hour drive in winter?
谁不喜欢在大冬天里开4小时车呢
If it's done, it's done.
如果结束就是结束了
It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
不到最后就还没结束
You offered him a plea bargain?
你给他提供了认罪协议吗
He just pled guilty to third degree murder.
他刚刚认了三级谋杀罪
And he is now facing five to 20 years
现在面临在州立精神病院
in a state psychiatric hospital.
服刑5到20♥年
You've misunderstood. Look. You did a great job.
你误会了 你们干得不错
And you almost got it right.
但你们弄错了一点
But it was never Frank, it was all Benjamin.
犯人从来不是弗兰克 一直都是本杰明
You know that's not true.
你知道不是这样的
You had an expert in psychopathy and sexual homicide
你们让一位波士顿大学的
from Boston University make a recommendation
精神病和性谋杀专家提出建议
that Frank motivated Benjamin to commit murder and...
说是弗兰克促使本杰明杀害...
She said he pushed his buttons.
她是说他触发了他
And Benjamin came back and disfigured the body.
接着本杰明回去 破坏了尸体
Well, guess what?
你猜怎么着
Frank confirmed all that.
弗兰克确证了这一切
But Dr. Carr got one thing wrong.
但卡尔博士弄错了一件事
Frank didn't rape her. Benjamin did.
弗兰克没有强♥奸她 是本杰明
The victim was already dead when Frank got there.
当弗兰克到那时 被害人已经死了
Hold on. She said Benjamin was jealous,
等等 她说本杰明嫉妒
sexually frustrated, humiliated.
受到性挫折 非常屈辱
That's a motive.
那就是动机
You got it all wrong. I have the report right here.
你全都弄错了 报告就在这里
I've read the report. It points in the opposite direction.
我看过报告了 指向了完全相反的方向
Benjamin was impotent because of the stressors.
本杰明因为压力源而无法勃起
He was frustrated and humiliated.
他受到性挫折 非常屈辱
It was impossible for him to rape the victim.
他不可能强♥奸被害人
I understand the righteousness of your cause,
我理解你事业的正义性
but this is an exceptionally difficult and disturbing case.
但这起案子极其困难 令人烦恼
There's very little forensic evidence.
法医证据很少
Almost all the evidence is circumstantial.
几乎所有证据都是间接证据
You classify our evidence as circumstantial?
你把我们的证据归类为间接证据
Frank told us where to find the victim's breasts.
弗兰克告诉我们哪里能找到被害人的乳♥房
Benjamin had kept them. So?
本杰明留着它们 所以呢
So, I got a guy who's jealous, sexually frustrated,
一个疑犯嫉妒 受到性挫折
and we find the victim's breasts buried in his backyard.
还把被害人的乳♥房埋到自家后院
Then I got a guy who's willing to tell us what happened.
另一个疑犯愿意告诉我们当时的情况
There's a huge difference between killing a woman
杀害一个女人和在她死后才破坏尸体
and mutilating her body after she is dead.
有着本质的区别
A plea bargain is the only antidote against a failed prosecution.
认罪协议是解决起诉失败的唯一有效方法
You're letting Frank off.
你要放过弗兰克
He shouldn't just go to a mental institution for five years.
去精神病院待5年太便宜他了
He should be put away for life. Five to 20 years.
他该判终身监禁 是5到20♥年
And the defense is arguing the state had a duty of care
而且辩方正在争辩 弗兰克第一次入院时
the first time Frank was in the hospital.
州政♥府对他应有注意义务
Theoretically the onus is on the state to make him better.
理论上州政♥府有义务让他好转
He's never going to get better.
他永远不会变好
I have to make a phone call.
我得打个电话
He's letting the wrong guy off with a lighter sentence.
他让真正的罪人从轻发落了
When Wendy explained it to him, he seemed to understand.
温迪给他解释时 还以为他理解了
I think he just wasn't sure he could convince a jury.
我觉得他只是不确定自己能否说服陪审团
This way it's airtight. He didn't try.
这样做就万无一失 他试都没试
No hard feelings, okay?
别生气 好吗
I know the outcome wasn't what you wanted.
我知道这不是你们想要的结果
All three behind bars, and Benjamin'll fry for what he did.
三人全部入狱 本杰明被处电刑 罪有应得
Not all bad. You know what we're up against.
不全是坏事 你们知道我们面对的是什么
We have to consider the attention span of a prospective jury pool.
我们必须考虑潜在陪审团的注意力持续时间
Need to keep them in mind.
得牢记于心
You know this is bullshit.
你知道这都是扯淡
Our objective is
我们的目标是
the lowest cost for the highest quality of justice.
用最小的代价换取最高质量的司法公正
Let me at least get you a steak sandwich.
我请你们吃牛排三明治吧
Outside of KC, it's the best I've come across.
就在堪萨斯城外 是我吃过最好吃的
No, thanks. I've lost my appetite.
不用了 谢谢 我没食欲
We need to hit the road.
我们得上路了
Okay. Thank you for everything.
好吧 感谢你们做的一切
What difference does any of this make
若我们不能与真正重要的人交流
if we can't communicate it to the people who matter?
这一切又有何区别
I don't know.
我不知道
It's all about process now.
现在以过程为重
Refining our methodology,
改善我们的方法
making sure we're airtight and idiot proof.
确保我们无懈可击 并简单易懂
So we need more subjects.
我们需要更多研究对象
Ones just like Kemper, please. Those were the days.
最好是跟坎伯一样的对象 那真是好时光
You know, you're going to see people present with similar pathologies,
你们会见到呈现出类似病症的人
but the way a person kills
但每个人杀人的方式
is as individual and distinct as the way they have sex.
正如他们做♥爱的方式一样独特
And just as complicated.
并且同样复杂
Jerome Brudos. King of souvenirs.
杰罗姆·布鲁多斯 纪♥念品之王
Brudos? The shoe guy? Who's he?
布鲁多斯 那个爱收集鞋子的人 他是谁
Six, seven years ago. Sometimes he wore women's dresses.
6 7年前的杀手 他有时会穿女人的裙子
He amputated the breasts of his first and third victims.
他割下了第一个和第三个被害人的乳♥房
Just like Benjamin.
和本杰明一样
It's themed. Wendy loves a pattern.
同个主题 温迪喜欢模式
It's all about finding patterns.
重要的就是找到模式
Except he went a little further than Benjamin.
但他比本杰明更进一步
He plaster cast the breasts
他把乳♥房做成了石膏模型
and made them into bronze paperweights.
并制成了青铜镇纸
He's creative.
他很有创意
His second victim,
第二个被害人
he amputated a foot which he stored in his freezer.
他切下了一只脚 保存在了冰箱里
He had a collection of hundreds of women's shoes
他收♥藏了数百名女性的鞋
which he used for masturbation.
用来自♥慰
I think we can learn a lot from this guy. I'm in.
我觉得能从他身上学到很多 算我一个
This time we use the questionnaire.
这次我们用问卷
Did we settle on that?
我们有说好吗
We have to be able to distinguish the fractal similarities and differences
我们必须能够区分不同模式的相同处和不同处
so that we can codify it clearly.
才能将其整理分类
Otherwise, we're just wasting our time.
不然我们就只是在浪费时间
Sure, but sometimes you got to go with your gut.
当然 但有时候就得靠直觉
And when you first walk in, you can trust your instinct.
你第一次接触 可以靠直觉
But once you get your subject talking,
但一旦让研究对象开口了
we need the protocols so we can build a consistent data set.
我们就需要规则 才能建立一致的数据集
Makes sense. What else do we know about Brudos?
有道理 对于布鲁多斯 我们还知道什么
As a teenager, he started grabbing lingerie from clotheslines.
青少年时期 他开始偷取衣绳上的女性内衣
Soon he was breaking into homes,
不久后他就擅闯房屋
stealing women's underwear, shoes, and dresses.
偷女性内衣 鞋以及裙子
And then eventually, he escalated to kidnapping and murder.
最后他作案升级 开始实施绑架和谋杀
But he was married with two children by then.
但他当时已经结婚并育有两子了
This file is as thick as an encyclopedia.
这份档案和百科全书一样厚
You really think we're gonna get something
你真认为我们还能从他那得到
from this guy that isn't already in here?
这里边没有的信息吗
Absolutely.
绝对能
In all that paperwork, there's not a single word that illuminates
所有文件都没有提及
what he was thinking or feeling before or during or after the crimes.
他在作案前 作案中和作案后的想法与感受
There's nothing on his operation principles, his logic.
没有任何关于他行动原则以及逻辑的信息
Logic? His internal logic, yes.
逻辑 没错 他的内在逻辑
Which, hopefully, one day we'll be able to decipher.
希望有一天我们能予以破解
So, we all agreed. Brudos is next.
那么我们都同意了 布鲁多斯是下个对象
Yes.
是的
Do you mind if I take that room?
你介意我用那个房间吗
For what? For my office.
干什么用 作为办公室
Oh, sure, fine. Go ahead.
当然 随便用
Do you need help? No.
你需要帮助吗 不用
I actually enjoy this part, organizing my space.
我很享受整理自己空间的过程
She's staying.
她要留下来了
Carver was right.
卡弗说得对
You really are Sherlock Holmes.
你果真是当代福尔摩斯
It's one generous bedroom and a newly refurbished kitchenette.
有一间宽敞的卧室 和刚翻新的厨房
The building's very quiet.
这栋大楼非常安静
Mostly professionals and mostly travelers.
大部分住户都是专业人士和旅客
Flight attendants, a few pilots. We get the odd lecturer.
空乘 几个飞行员 偶尔有讲师
Are you married?
你已婚吗
No.
不是
Were you thinking month to month?
你打算按月租吗
To begin with.
先这样
Are they all furnished? Yes.
家具都齐全了吗 是的
And that's definitely part of the complex's allure.
绝对是这间公寓的吸引之处
Just pick up your keys and off you go.
只要拿起钥匙就可以入住了
We do have some singles activities,
我们有些为单身人士办的活动
if you're up for that sort of thing.
你有兴趣的话可以参加
And there's access to quite a good tennis pro.
你还能使用很棒的网球场
I'm going to be working long hours.
我工作很忙
What made you choose this part of Virginia,
不介意我问一句的话
if you don't mind my asking?
你为什么要来弗吉尼亚州的这一区呢
Quantico.
匡提科
Are you with the Bureau?
你是局里的吗
I guess... uh, mainly research.
算是吧 主要从事研究工作
Very exciting.
真令人兴奋