(名词)
(靠诡计为生的人)
(汤姆)
-早上好
-Morning.
-在找什么吗 -是的
-Looking for something? -Yeah.
精♥装♥版的《凝望上帝》
A hardcover of Their Eyes Were Watching God.
精♥装♥版 是 我们应该有一本
Hardcover? Yeah. I think we have one.
谢谢
Thanks.
实际上我没怎么读过赫斯顿的书
You know, I actually haven't read much Hurston.
是 她很棒
Yeah, she's great.
这其实是我要送给教授的礼物
It's actually a gift for my professor.
好吧 你是个学生
Okay. You're a student.
正在攻读博士学位
Getting my PhD.
-哥伦比亚大学 纽约大学 -纽约大学
-Columbia? NYU? -NYU.
不错 你的…论文题目是什么
Nice. What's your-- What's your thesis topic?
《重新定义激进主义
"Redefining Radicalism:
黑人女权主义在美国文学中的兴起》
The Rise of Black Feminism in American Literature."
天啊
Oh, wow.
可真拗口
That's a mouthful.
-进展得如何 -很慢 非常缓慢
-How's that going? -Slowly. Very slowly.
是吗
Oh, yeah?
-厄玛托马斯的… -我很佩服你
-Irma Thomas… -Well, I'm impressed.
《我心之主》 由WNYC为您带来
…"Ruler of my Heart" on WNYC.
整15美金
That'll be 15 even.
-纽约公共广播电台 -谢谢
-…New York public radio. -Thank you.
我是约翰谢弗
I'm John Schaefer,
如果新奥尔良的灵魂女王 没能让你放松心情
and if the soul queen of New Orleans couldn't lighten the mood,
也许艾灵顿公爵可以
maybe Duke Ellington will.
接下来为您播放他经典版本的
Here's his classic version
《多愁善感》 由约翰科尔特兰演出
of "In a Sentimental Mood," featuring John Coltrane.
莫特街上有一家日本小餐厅
There's actually this little Japanese restaurant on Mott Street.
如果你一会儿有空 我请你吃晚餐
If you're not doing anything later, dinner's on me.
抱歉
Sorry.
不 这…
No. That's--
-你可能有男朋友了 -没有 我是单身
-You probably have a boyfriend. -No, I don't. I'm single.
我是单身 而且我还挺喜欢一个人的
I'm-I'm single, and I kinda like being single.
好 没关系 我…完全理解
Oh, yeah. No, I totally get that.
你的卡划不过去
Your card's not going through.
肯定是又被我刷爆了
I must've maxed it out again.
-我看看现金够不够 -没事的…
-Let me see if I have enough cash. -It's fine. It's fine.
算啦 你先把书拿走吧
You know what? Actually just take the book.
不行 不能这样
No, I couldn't.
-要是有人来找… -他们可以在网上订购
-What if someone else came in looking-- -They can order it online.
随便吧 没关系的 你可以之后再来付钱
Or whatever. It's fine. You can come back and pay for it later.
-谢谢 我… -好的
-Thank you. I-- -Yeah.
-我保证会回来把钱给你 -好
-I promise I'll be back with the money. -Yeah.
谢谢
Thank you.
-拜 -再见
-Bye. -See ya.
你可能有男朋友了
You probably have a boyfriend.
真是白♥痴♥ “可能有男朋友了”
Idiot. "Probably have a boyfriend."
-嗨 还记得我吗 -嗨
-Hi. Remember me? -Hey.
记得
Yeah.
我来给你送钱
Got your money.
你不用今天送的
You didn't have to do that today.
我不想让你一直等
I didn't wanna leave you hanging.
谢谢
Thank you.
不用找了
Just keep the change.
好吧 谢了
Okay. Thanks.
好了 再见了
Okay. Well. See ya.
-好吧 好 -好
-All right. Yeah. -Yeah.
-祝你愉快 -你也是
-Have a good one. -You too.
-嘿 -你好呀
-Hey. -Hello.
还记得今天早上你约我出去吃晚餐吗
So, remember this morning when you asked me out to dinner?
-是的 很抱歉 我不是有意… -不…
-Oh, yeah. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-- -No, no, no.
我…其实是想答应你的
I-- I actually wanted to say yes.
我当时站在那里
I was standing there
心想如果这个人约我出去该多好
thinking how nice it would be if this guy asked me out,
我正想的时候你就开口了 我…
and right as I thought it, you did. And I--
也不知道怎么回事 我当时就慌了
I don't know. I panicked.
你慌了
You panicked?
我慌了
I panicked.
我叫桑德拉
I'm Sandra.
汤姆
Tom.
汤姆 幸会
Nice to meet you, Tom.
幸会
Nice to meet you.
-那么 莫特街 -好呀 如果…好的
-So, Mott Street? -Yeah. If that-- Yeah.
-是 好的… -这边
-Okay. Yeah. Okay. -This way.
-你…我跟着你 是的 -好吧
-You-- After you. Yeah. -All right.
我带了包
I have my bag.
没事 我也带了 有点冷了
No, I do too. It's getting kind of cold.
-那个… -抱歉…
-That-- -Sorry…
-背包小伙伴 -小伙伴
-Backpack buddies. -Buddies.
是呀 我觉得我真是给自己找事
Yeah, and, like, what have I gotten myself into?
明白吗 短篇小说是一回事
You know? Like, a short story is one thing.
-可一本小说要大概300页 还要… -我知道 有时还要至更多
-A novel, that's, like, 300 pages and-- -I know. And sometimes more.
没错 他们给我开了很高的价
Exactly. And, you know, here they are offering me real money, you know?
我必须得写出点东西来
I have to deliver something.
-那么 你做了什么 -我…恐慌发作了一年 然后我…
-So, what'd you do? -I had a year-long panic attack, and I--
写了一本很烂的书
I wrote this book that was terrible.
不会啦 我敢肯定没那么烂
Come on. I'm sure it wasn't that bad.
真的很烂 写得…很差 他们都不肯出版
No, no, it was bad. It was-- It was awful. They wouldn't publish it.
哎呀
Ouch.
-是啊 -抱歉
-Yeah. -Sorry.
没关系 我至少我不用把预付款退回去
No, it's fine. You know, at least I got to keep the advance.
你还写作吗
Do you still write?
没有 不怎么写了
No. Not really.
这一切都发生在 我妈妈去世的那段时间 然后…
You know, all this happened around the time that my mom died, and--
我不知道 我…
I don't know, I--
什么事都无法令我开心 然后我就放弃了
Things got dark for me, and I kinda just gave up.
我很小的时候父母就去世了
My parents died when I was a kid.
很遗憾听到这个
I'm sorry to hear that.
你一定过得很艰难
Must've been tough.
总之 是
Anyway, yeah.
后来我开始经营书店
I started managing the bookstore.
这让我从抑郁之类的中走了出来
That kinda pulled me out of my depression, or whatever.
然后 是啊 它占据了我大部分的时间
And, yeah, it takes up most of my time.
整天被书包围着 感觉一定很好
Must be nice being surrounded by books all day.
没有比这更好的了
It's the best.
我父母去世后
After my parents passed,
我哥哥和我不停地更换寄养家庭
my brother and I hopped from one foster family to the next.
有一段时间 我们和一对夫妇
One point, we were staying with this couple
住在一起 他们的小说收藏非常棒
that had this great collection of novels.
一天晚上 我开始读《简爱》 书中的那个角色
And one night, I started reading Jane Eyre, and here was this character
在某种程度上经历了我所经历过的一切
that was, sort of, going through everything I was going through.
我那时就想一直读下去
And I didn't want it to end.
读完后 我翻到第一页 又从头读了一遍
I finished it, went back to page one and started reading it all over again.
从那以后我就爱上了书
Just loved books ever since.
《简爱》吗
Jane Eyre, huh?
《简爱》
Jane Eyre.
我能给你看样东西吗
Can I show you something?
天啊
Oh, my God.
(《简爱》 一本自传)
Is this a first edition?
这是首版吗
(由柯勒贝尔编辑 第1卷)
这是真的吗
Is this real?
是真的
This is real.
我怎么能确定
How can I be sure?
我是说 有些教授太讨厌了
I mean, some of these professors are so obnoxious.
实际上用了 “德国文学的阉♥割♥化”这个表达
Actually used the phrase "the vaginization of German literature."
-什么化 -我很肯定
-The what? -I mean, I'm pretty sure
根本没有“阉♥割♥化”这么个词
"vaginization" isn't even a real word.
你在哪里学的做饭
Where'd you learn how to cook?
我在佛罗伦萨读的大三
电影精选列表