约翰·休斯顿作品
【 死 者 】
根据詹姆斯·乔伊斯小说集《都柏林人》之《死者》改编
导演:约翰·休斯顿
都柏林 1904年
到了
Here we are,
- 快! - 来啊
- Come on! - I'm right behind you,
来了来了
I should be up in a second,
快,我来了
Go on, I'm right behind you.
女士更衣室在楼上,凯特小姐和朱丽娅小姐在等您
The ladies dressing room is upstairs, Miss Kate and Miss Julia are waiting for you.
谢谢你,李莉
Thank you, Lily,
-我们待会楼上见 - 好的
- We'll see you upstairs, then. - Right-e-o.
福龙小姐,奥卡拉汉小姐和希金斯小姐
Miss Furlong, Miss O'Callaghan and Miss Higgins,
……到了,凯特小姐! - 还是不见我侄子?
..coming up, Miss Kate! - Is there no sign of my nephew yet?
没,夫人
No, ma'm.
加布里埃尔先生呢?我希望他比弗雷迪·马林斯先到
Where can Gabriel be? I just hope he gets here before Freddy Malins.
啊,奥卡拉汉小姐,好高兴看到你
Ah, Miss O'Callaghan, how delighted I am to see you,
欢迎,福龙小姐
And you, Miss Furlong,
欢迎,希金斯小姐
And you, Miss Higgins.
喔,真叫人喜出望外,玛丽·简最喜欢的三个学生都来了
O, what a surprise, Mary Jane's three favourite pupils all together.
玛丽·简在哪?我给她带了份圣诞礼物
Where's Mary Jane? I have a present for her from Christmas.
是的,当然,你错过了你的课
Yes, of course, you missed your lesson.
- 你喜欢英国吗? - 大爱
- Did you enjoy England? - It was lovely.
玛丽·简待会就上来,实话告诉你,她正在烤鹅呢
Mary Jane will be up in a minute. To tell you the truth, she's basting a goose.
李莉,我上楼去,留心一下马铃薯别烤焦了
Lilly, I am upstairs. Keep an eye on the potatoes to see they don't boil over.
那谁来应门呢,小姐?我在厨房♥就听不到铃♥声♥
But who will answer the door, miss? I can't hear the bell from the kitchen.
- 晚上好,克里根先生 - 晚上好,莫肯小姐
介绍一下,这位是我的朋友雷蒙德·伯金先生
- Good evening, Mr. Kerrigan. - Good evening, Miss Morkan,
I'd like you to meet friend of mine, Mr. Raymond Bergin.
- 你好,伯金先生 - 你好
- How do you do, Mr. Bergin. - How do you do.
- 很高兴你能来 - 非常荣幸
- I'm very glad that you could come. - Delighted to be here.
听话,你就每隔几分钟跑下去再跑上来
Just pop down every few minutes and come straight up again like a good girl.
我得铺桌子,小姐
I have to lay the table, miss.
- 尽量,好吧 - 我努力
- Well, do your best. - I will try.
- 晚上好! - 晚上好
- Good evening! - Good evening.
这是凯特小姐,朱丽娅·莫肯小姐
Miss Kate, Miss Julia Morkan,
我来介绍,这是雷蒙德·伯金先生和约瑟夫·克尔根先生
May I present Mr. Raymond Bergin and Mr. Joseph Kerrigan,
今晚是这两位好先生陪我们来的
who were so good to escort us here tonight.
能见到玛丽·简年轻的女士们的朋友实在太高兴了
It's a great pleasure to meet friends of any of Mary Jane's young ladies.
- 谢谢您的款待 - 非常感谢,莫肯小姐
- Thank you for having us. - We appreciate this, Miss Morkan.
克里根先生,你去年留给我很深的印象
I think I remember you from last year, Mr. Kerrigan,
朱丽娅,你还记得去年克里根先生来过吗?
Julia, don't you remember Mr. Kerrigan from last year?
- 是的,当然,我记得 - 太好了
- Yes, of course, of course. - All right,
你们想先跳舞,还是先休息一下?
do you want to go into the dancing first, or do you want to have a refreshment?
- 先跳舞! - 我们要热身!
- Dancing, please! - To warm us up!
刚才坐车太冷了,非跳舞不可
That'd be sure enough after your cold ride.
奥卡拉汉小姐,福龙小姐,希金斯小姐…!
Miss O'Callaghan, Miss Furlong, Miss Higgins.. !
- 谁来了?李莉? - 布朗先生!
- Who's there, Lily? - Mr. Browne!
只有布朗先生?
Just Mr. Browne?
难道还不够吗?
Isn't one of me enough for you?
可以了,丹!
More then enough, Dan!
我想弗雷特肯定喝醉了,喔,绝对错不了
I'm sure Freddy's stewed, O, I'm sure he is.
他喝醉的时候,很难对付
And when he's stewed, he's so hard to manage.
他太糟糕了
He's quite impossible.
我们怎么办?
Whatever will we do?
什么才是今天最适合的礼物
Whoever's giving away a gift chose the right day for it,
在这个我主显现、三王朝圣、星出东方的节日里
Chose the Feast of Epiphany, the Three Kings, a Star in the East,
没错,当然是黄金,乳香和没药
By right, she should have gold, frankincense and myrrh in that.
不知什么,反正闻起来很香
Whatever it is, it smells nice.
好象邦德街卖♥♥的时尚香皂
It's some special toilet soap, from Bond street.
你真有心
How thoughtful of you.
看,来自伦敦西区的乳香和没药
Well, frankincense and myrrh from London West End.
- 朱丽娅小姐 - 啊,很可爱
- Miss Julia. - O, how lovely!
谢谢你,丹
Thank you, Dan.
- 你好吗,丹? - 嗯,不太妙
- How are you, Dan? - Well, not quite good.
什么,出什么事了?
Why, what's the matter?
原来你们等的不是我而是别人
Found out you've been waiting for someone other then me to arrive.
我在担心弗雷德
I'm worried about Freddy.
- 但他起过誓了 - 你确定?
- But he's taken a pledge. - Are you sure?
这是真的,他妈妈在除夕晚上要他做的
Of course I am, his mother made him on New Year's Eve.
啊,真有趣,她一个字也没提,她一个小时前就到了
O, that's funny. She never said a word about it. She arrived here an hour ago!
他可能屈服了
He might have succumbed.
如果这样,我能指望你吗?你知道会是什么情况
If he has, can I count on you? You know what it's like.
当然可以
Of course you can.
我敢打赌这准是他
I'll bet even money that's him now.
哦,康洛伊先生,凯特小姐和朱丽娅小姐还以为您不来了呢
Mr. Conroy, Miss Kate and Miss Julia thought you were never coming.
晚上好,康洛伊太太
Good-night, Mrs. Conroy.
我料到她们会这么想的,可她们忘了,我太太要花整整三个小时梳妆打扮
I'll engage they did, but they forget that my wife were takes three mortal hours to dress herself.
- 是谁啊,李莉? - 凯特小姐,康洛伊太太来了
- Who's that now, Lily? - Miss Kate, here is Mrs. Conroy!
- 谢天谢地你们终于来了!- 不见到你们可不行!
- Thank good Lord you have arrived! - You must be perished alive!
布里埃尔是否陪你一起来?
Is Gabriel with you?
我在这里,跟邮件一样准时呢。凯特姨妈!你们先上去,我随后就来
Here I am, Aunt Kate, as right as the mail, I'll be up in the moment!
- 他叫得真大声! - 他就会叫
- Quite bellow he has! - He's a bellower all right.
是不是又下雪了,康洛伊先生?
Is it snowing again, Mr. Conroy?
是的,李莉,我看会下一夜呢
It is, Lily, I'm afraid we're in for the night of it.
告诉我,李莉,你还上学吗?
Tell me, Lily, are you still going to school?
哦,不上了,先生,今年以来我就不上了
No sir, I'm done schooling this year and more.
天啊,感觉像昨天的事
Good Lord, seems like only yesterday,
那时你还在大门台阶上玩布娃娃
You were playing with your ragged dolls on the front steps.
我想最近某个好日子我们会去参加你和你那年轻人的婚礼了,对吧?
I suppose we'll be going to your wedding one of these fine days.
现在的男人全是骗子,千方百计占你的便宜
The men that is now is only all palaver and what they can get out of you.
李莉,过圣诞节了
Lily, it's Christmas time, isn't it?
- 喔,不,先生 - 只是一点点
- O, no, sir... - Just a little.
- 我不要,先生 - 今天是圣诞节
- I wouldn't take that, sir. - It's Christmas-time!
- 不,真的,先生 - 过圣诞节了!过圣诞节了!
- No, really, sir... - Christmas-time! Christmas-time!
一个人觉得他正在倾听心潮汹涌的心声
One feels that one is listening to a thought-tormented music.
我们已经在格雷沙姆订了一个房♥间,四年来我头一次住旅馆
We've taken a room at the Greshham. It was the first time I stayed in the hotel in four years.
诚然,这事做得最好了
To be sure, by far the best thing to do.
可是还有孩子们,格丽塔,你不担心他们吗?
Are you not anxious about the children, Gretta?
啊,只有一夜……再说
O, for one night... Besides,
贝茜会照顾他们的
Bessie will look after them.
说真的
To be sure,
有那样一个姑娘该多放心呀,一个能靠得住的姑娘
What a comfort it is to have a girl like that, one you can depend on!
你看看那个李莉,我真不知道她最近是怎么了
There's that Lily, I don't know what has come over her lately.
好像换了个人,根本不是从前的她了
But she's not the girl she was at all.
啊,他在这,躲在走廊上
O, here he is, lurking in the corridor!
像一个逃课的小男孩
Like a little boy sent out of class.
你好象有什么事,加布里埃尔?
What's up with you at all, Gabriel?
他只是担心他的演讲,凯特姨妈,他已经好几天心神不定
He's only concerned about his speech, Aunt Kate, he's been fretting about it for days.
不可能,他过去一直做得很棒
Nonsense, he made a wonderful job of it in the past.
你会好的,加布里埃尔,没事
You will be fine, Gabriel, just fine.
我打赌你一定希望喝杯美酒热热身
I bet you'd like a nice warm glass of punch.
啊,求之不得,你知道的,演讲太折磨人了
Ah, yes please. You know, it's really bitter out.
格丽塔对我说,你们今晚不打算坐马车回蒙克斯顿
Gretta tells me you're not going to take a cab back to Monkstown.
是的,我们去年受够了坐马车的罪,对吧?
No, we had quite enough of that last year, hadn't we?
马车的窗子一路咔嗒咔嗒响个不停,刚过了默里恩,东风就直往里灌
Cab windows rattling all the way, and the east wind blowing in as soon as we passed Merrion.
真够呛的,可是还有格丽塔呀……
Very jolly it was. As for Gretta here...
要是依着她,她宁愿踏着雪走回家去
She'd walk home in the snow if she were let.
别理他,凯特姨妈,他可真是太麻烦了
Don't mind him, Aunt Kate, he's really an awful bother.
什么汤姆的眼睛夜里要戴绿眼罩啦,让他练哑铃啦
What with green shades for Tom's eyes at night and making him do the dumb-bells.
强迫伊娃吃麦片粥啦。可怜的孩子!她看见麦片粥就恶心
Forcing Eva to eat the stirabout. The poor child! And she simply hates the sight of it!
哦,可你们绝对猜不出,他现在要我穿些什么!
O, but you'll never guess what he makes me wear now!
套鞋!那是最近的事
Goloshes! That's the latest.
只要脚下的地一湿,我就必须穿上套鞋
Whenever it's wet underfoot I must put on my goloshes.
甚至今天晚上,他也要我穿上,可我就是不肯
Tonight even he wanted me to put them on, but I wouldn't.
下次他要给我买♥♥东西,想必是一套潜水衣了
The next thing he'll buy me will be a diving suit.
- 这不是限制吗? - 什么是套鞋,加布里埃尔?
- Isn't that the limit? - And what are goloshes, Gabriel?
套鞋呀,朱丽娅!天哪
Goodness gracious, Julia,
- 难道你不知道什么是套鞋? - 不知道
- Don't you know what goloshes are? - No.
你把它们套在……套在你的靴子外面
You wear them over your . . . boots,
- 对吧,格丽塔? - 对,是用‘古塔’胶做的
- Isn't it, Gretta? - Right, guttapercha things.
现在我们俩各有一双,加布里埃尔说欧洲大♥陆♥上人人都穿它们
We both have a pair now. Gabriel says everyone wears them on the continent.
喔,欧洲大♥陆♥上……
O, on the continent...
朱丽娅要去哪里?