A man may labour and toil to attain a certain kind of leisure in retirement,
辛勤劳作是为了换得退休后的闲暇生活
and then find that,after all,he yearns for the old busy days...
但却发现 终究还是怀念那些忙碌的日子
...and the old occupations he had thought himself so glad to leave.
和那个自以为很想离开的岗位
I had already begun to miss the daily toil of my previous employment...
我甚至已经怀念起了原先的工作
...when "tout coup" I was flung back into the midst...
当我"突然"重操旧业
...of the most perversely fascinating work that there is in the world,
继续那世间最让人沉迷的
...the study of human nature.
人性的研究时
A journal came into my possession...
我得到了一本日记
...in which a murderer had taken the trouble to record for posterity...
这是一个谋杀犯不辞劳苦留给后代的记录
...the thoughts that had accompanied a crime most dastardly.
里面记载了时刻充斥在凶手脑海中的想法
Rarely have I come across such bitterness,
我真的忍♥受不了这些痛苦
...such envy and contempt of others,
别人的嫉妒和藐视
...such haughtiness misplaced.
莫名其貌的傲慢自大
Our village,Kings Abbott,is,
我们的金斯艾博特村
I imagine,very much like any other English village.
在我印象中和其他的英国村庄没什么不同
A chilly medieval church
一座阴冷的中世纪教堂
stands at the top of a single street of stone-built cottages.
坐落在砖瓦房♥街道的一头
At the bottom of the street,a bridge crosses a stream...
而另一头 一座小桥横跨一条小溪
...where the snotty-nosed offspring of the poor...
那些乳臭未干的穷小子们
...perfect the most advanced skill they will ever possess.
在这里练就了一生的本领
Although to the casual observer Kings Abbott is a friendly place,
虽然一般人觉得金斯艾博特村是个很好的地方
...everything is not as it seems.
但事实并不是看到的那么简单
Just scratch the surface...
如果只注重表面
...and you will find more jealousies and rivalries than Ancient Rome.
你会发现这里的人比古罗马人更会嫉妒和竞争
Parker. I'm calling next door at Mr Poirot's...
帕克 我敲了隔壁波罗先生的门
My little book is about
亲爱的读者们 我的记事本
the murder of Roger Ackroyd
记录了罗杰·艾克罗伊德的凶案
...the events leading up to it,the subsequent numbskull investigation,
各种导火线以及后来进行的一系列愚蠢的调查
...and the final revelation to you alone,
以及最后向你们揭露的
dear reader,of the guilty party.
那场罪恶的宴会
Hello?
有人吗?
Now I give up on you. You shall torment me no longer.
我投降啦 别捉弄我了
I will kill you!
我要杀了你!
Sacré!
该死!
My dear doctor!
亲爱的医生!
I beg of you a thousand pardons!
非常抱歉!
But these vegetable marrows have driven me to the edges of barbarity!
但这些西葫芦快把我逼疯了!
Please to forgive me. I am ashamed. I prostrate myself.
请原谅我 我真惭愧 我投降了
What's the trouble,Poirot?
怎么啦 波罗?
Ah,you know,Doctor,
你懂的 医生
...it is my desire to grow a vegetable marrow of proportions gigantesques
我想种出一个大的西葫芦
And you have seen how I nurse her.
你也看到了我是多么小心的照料她
Each day I give to her water,each day I weed her with my best tweezers.
我每天浇水 用最好的镊子除草
And when those little flowers of hers they show themselves,I remove them,
当她开出其它的小花时 我还要把它们剪掉
...all but one,so that her strength may be conserved.
只留下一朵 这样来保存她的能量
Does she appreciate this cosseting? No.
她有感激我吗? 没有
She grows to a size that is merely conventional,then rests upon her laurels.
她长到和其它西葫芦一样大之后就不长了
You mustn't upset yourself,Poirot.
别生气 波罗
No. No,you are correct.
是的 是的 你说的对
But you can figure it out,James.
但是你能够理解 詹姆斯
When one retires,one hurls oneself into new pursuits.
人退休的时候 就会全身心投入新的追求
Oh. Pardon,Monsieur Parker.
噢 抱歉 帕克先生
What can I do for you?
有什么可以帮忙的吗?
I've come to take you to the factory,sir.
我来带你工厂 先生
But it is just struck ten o'clock.
但是现在才十点
My appointment was not until eleven.
我们预约的是十一点
Yes,but Mr Ackroyd hoped you wouldn't mind it being earlier.
是的 但是艾克罗伊德先生希望你能早点去
He's got a bit of a busy day.
他今天有点忙
Our only captain of industry is the vulgarian,Mr Roger Ackroyd.
罗杰·艾克罗伊德是工业界的暴发户
The factory from which Ackroyd's ill-gotten wealth emanates
这家工厂据说是他以不正当手段得到的
encapsulates the life we lead here,ferment and turmoil.
这里的生活混乱不堪
Have you got a penny,Poirot? Oui.
你有一便士吗? 有
Thank you.
谢谢
Show Monsieur Poirot what your acid can do,Ted.
给波罗先生看下你的酸液的能耐 泰德
It is here that he lines his pockets by mixing chemicals...
他在这里混和各种化学试剂
...to make unnecessary products,
研制不必要的产品来赚钱
...while befouling the very air we breathe.
同时也污染着我们的空气
He likes to think of himself as a scientist.
他觉得自己是个科学家
I'm afraid the noise was a bit too much for you,Poirot.
这里太吵了吧 波罗
Not at all.
没什么
I envy you,mon ami.
我羡慕嫉妒恨啊 朋友
Who would have thought those experiments
谁能想到这样的实验
at the back of your little shop would lead to this?
是在你的地下工厂里进行的?
Your country house but a mile or two away,and yet here,
你的乡间别♥墅♥离这里只有几英里
...we have the challenges and triumphs of great industry.
我们在这里取得了伟大工业的成功
I'm eternally grateful to you for that first loan,Poirot.
我对你给我的第一笔贷款一直感激不尽 波罗
And you can't say you're not without your own triumphs.
你也取得了你自己的成功
And now you've got your reward
现在你也得到了回报
the peace and quiet of the country,your garden.
乡下的宁静生活 你的花♥园♥
You don't regret retiring down here,then?
你不后悔退休吧?
Oh,no,no. Not at all.
噢 不不 一点也不
For 30 years I was exposed to the dark side of life.
过去的30年里我看尽了人性的黑暗面
It takes its toll,you know. I'm sure it does.
这也是有代价的 你明白吧 当然
And now,as you say,I have my reward.
正像你说的 我现在得到了回报
Excuse me,Mr Ackroyd.
请原谅 艾克罗伊德先生
What is it,Raymond?
怎么了 雷蒙德?
Mr Paton is here,sir. Mr Paton?
佩顿先生到了 先生 佩顿先生?
Your stepson,sir.
你的继子 先生
I know who Mr Paton is,
我知道佩顿先生是谁
thank you,Mr Raymond. Let him in!
谢谢 雷蒙德先生 让他进来!
Why is it I can't stand that fellow?
我怎么就受不了那个家伙呢?
Eh bien. Now I must return to Kings Abbott.
好了 我要回金斯艾博特村了
Thank you very much,my friend,for showing to me your factory magnifique.
非常感谢你带我参观你的工厂 朋友
I can't understand why you haven't been before.
不敢相信你以前竟然没来过
You've been here nearly a year now.
你在附近都住了一年了
But all in all,this has been a good week for me.
不管怎么样 这周对我来说真是太美妙了
Read your newspaper on Saturday morning under Forthcoming Marriages.
请留意星期六早上的报纸上的婚庆通知吧
You mean your stepson and Mademoiselle Flora?
你是指你的继子和弗洛拉小姐?
Please to accept my congratulations.
恭喜恭喜
Ah,Ralph,my dear boy. You remember Monsieur Poirot?
哦 拉尔夫 孩子 你还记得波罗先生吧?
Yes,of course. How are you,Mr Poirot?
是的 当然 你最近怎么样 波罗先生?
I am well,thank you.
我很好 谢谢
I regret I am on the point of departure.
很遗憾 我刚好要回去了
I'll get Parker to run you home.
让帕克载你回去吧
See to it,Raymond,will you? Merci.
去办吧 雷蒙德 谢谢
Au revoir. Goodbye.
再见 再见
What are you doing here?
你来这干嘛?
With his ill-gotten gains,
凭着用不正当手段获得的财富
Ackroyd has built himself a truly ostentatious house,
艾克罗伊德给自己建造了一座豪♥宅♥
...spending a fortune on architects' and surveyors' fees,no doubt.
在建筑师和测量员身上花了不少钱
He lives there with the former wife
他和他已去世的哥哥的妻子
of his deceased brother,Mrs Vera Ackroyd,
维拉·艾克罗伊德夫人住在一起
...and her daughter,Flora
还有她的女儿 弗洛拉
...vultures,eagerly awaiting his demise.
一群贪心的人盼着他赶快死
Shall I pour,Mrs Ackroyd? Yes.
要帮您倒茶吗 太太? 好
Oh,tea. Wonderful. Hello,Ursula.
哇 有茶 太好了 你好 厄休拉
Shall I pour for you,Miss Flora?
需要我帮您倒茶吗 弗洛拉小姐?
Yes,thank you.
是的 谢谢
Isn't this exciting? Tea?
这很令人兴奋吧? 茶吗?
No,you goose. The forthcoming announcement.
不是的 笨蛋 我是说即将到来的通告
And not before its time,either.
看来不会很久了
Oh! Sorry. I'll um... I'll get a cloth.
哦! 抱歉...我去拿抹布
I really don't know where Roger finds these girls.
真不知道罗杰从哪里找的这些女孩
Have you spoken to Ralph?
你跟拉尔夫谈过吗?
No,Mummy. He's in London.
没呢 妈妈 他在伦敦
You'd think he might telephone on the occasion of his engagement.
你觉得他会在订婚的时候打电♥话♥给你吗?
I er... came down last night.
我昨晚就来了
I'm staying at the White Hart.
我现在住在怀特哈特店
Look,er... Father...
是这样的 父亲
What's wrong with Fernly Park all of a sudden?
费恩利庄园又怎么了?
美剧 | 大侦探波洛(1989) | 导航列表